Anything specific you after?

Monday 13 August 2018

Grimli Gloinsson

Grimli  (not the most orginal name I know) is my dedicated professional fighter.  Out to see the world and have an adventure but not as prone to rage and recklessness as a barbarian. With his axe and shield he is a formidable foe.  I thought I would leave his back story with a bit of a cliff hanger type thing to give the DM something to work with if I  ever play him.

Grimli fifth son and youngest child of Glamorglin Gloinsson Lord of Bellows Deep. A mountain keep in the north with silver and previous jewel mines creating Glamorglin enourmous wealth. Life was pleasant in the keep with only the occasional goblin raid to fight off and to put it bluntly Grimli was bored. Being the youngest and last son in the line his duties were few and tedious. He yearned for a life of adventure he would always volunteer for goblin hunts and if not doing that he would  sit in the taverns and listen to the various dwarves who come and go. Traders, adventurers, scouts all would share their stories in exchange for an ale. His father had noticed the adventurer spirit in his youngest, his wife told him to keep giving him duties and suppress the urges Grimli appears to have but Glamorglin remembers a long time ago he too had those urges and explored the world having adventures and seeing wonderous things before being recalled to the keep to take his dying father's place as Lord of Bellows Deep.  One day he took Grimli to the viewing platfrom that looks out across the plains below the mountain.  "Son your not happy here. No don't say a word I recognise those far away looks and the always running to fight goblins and sitting in taverns. ....what I wasn't always a Lord you know I was young once. I saw many things and travelled to many places. I've thought monsters that our folk wouldn't believe  existed. I've met many honourable warriors, bards,  wizards and even elves along my travels.  You mother worried as she sees a lot of that younger me in you. She wants you to stay here away from it all. But listen" Glamorglin out his hand on Grimli's shoulder "I want you to go out into the world and see what I saw do what I did and lots more son. There are still people that know and respect the Gloinsson name don't forget your signet ring and I shall write you a letter of introduction just in case. As I said I've met many honourable people on this land but I have may met share of evil scum that would see the world burn." Grimli stared in shock at his father, no one had ever mentioned his adventuring days and he had no idea he assumed his father had stayed in the keep. His father turned and headed back inside "meet me at hearthstone gate at dawn tomorrow.  I'll see you on your journey oh and don't tell your mother. " Grimli  packed with excitement and hardly slept. He took uo his pack and headed out to the gate  where his father was already waiting . "Son let me see your axe " Grimli  handed over his axe to his father who took it and looked at it for a while. He turned passed it to a bodyguard and gestured to another guard who brought a different axe. "This here was my first axe.  My father gave me this when I  left this through this gate for that first adventure. Here you take it. It's name is  Oath Keeper. " Grimli took the axe and held it. It's weight  and balance felt perfect to him. He beamed with pride holding the axe  "Go on! Get out of here before your mother sees!" His father chuckled. Grimli hefted his shield on his back held oath keeper and headed out through the gate into the world. Glamorglin watched his son walk away from the keep. His wife walked up next to him. "You didn't think I knew what You were up to hmmm?" She smiled.  "He'll be fine and better him out there learning about the world than here under our feet " Glamorglin said. They watched until Grimli was a mere speck in the distance.  As they turned away a guard rushed up.  "Lord they've encountered something in the new mine tunnels there have been casualties. " the guard said breathlessly "Goblins again? We only just finished clearing out the last nest " Glamorglin said "No my lord something else......


No comments:

Post a Comment