Anything specific you after?

Thursday 13 January 2022

40k a new....... Old adventure

 As I have convinced my friends to play Bolt Action, Blood bowl and Victory at Sea it seems the tables have been turned................. Mwha ha ha ha ha  (Matt, Dave and Dean's evil laugh!) They  have been talking about doing a Warhammer 40000 crusade campaign thing.  40k was where it all started for me  (second edition!) and I've always loved the lore, stories and video games. My very kind friend Dave offered his space marines for me to use but the problem is 40k there has only ever been one army........ Imperial guard. Typically the army I like needs lots of models!!! Matt (check out his blog here) gave me a small pile of guard. A couple of squads worth and offered me use of his leman russ's which was very nice!! One of the squads turned out to be vintage Schaeffer’s Last Chancers!! A very old special unit, they have no rules but I have found uses for all the models!

Schaeffer’s Last Chancers 

Obviously now I needed to bulld up some more infantry. One squad of infantry is around £20 for ten men....... Now I'm sure I can get more soldiers for my money some where. Best thing about the guard is they are drawn from all over so lots of variety and options for playing around. First thought was a unit like the old Pretorians (like because the old GW models go for £15 plus for one model!!!), so my thoughts went to warlords British soldiers from the Zulu war. I knew Wargames Atlantic has Space Brits in production but not out now so stuck for now. I then found some Mantic models from their game Dead Zone.

£18!!

The GCPS Faction for the bill they even have Las guns! Plus the helmeted dudes have heavy Las guns so I'm thinking Scions (Stormtroopers to my second edition brain) with their hot shot Las guns. Plus I get an officer and 2 heavy weapons. So I've ordered these and thry arrived yesterday and I am. In the process of building them. Small side note they are fiddly like bolt action models where you have to glue arms seperate to guns or one arm has a gun and you need to find the right arm to fit. I much prefer the newer bolt action which has arms pre attached to gun and you just glue the arms. You lose pose variety but honestly with my fat fingers and flagging eyesight I just want soldiers to play with I'm not to fussed about loads of variety.

After my experience of putting some blood bowl models (Not you Wood elves sit back down!!) together I can see why people use GW models 😂.

Well that's my update for now hoping to have those minis built this week end. Still need to finish painting Rumbleslam stuff and fallout stuff as well. 

Stay safe guys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment