Anything specific you after?

Thursday 23 January 2020

Need to Step Up My Painting Game


Been looking at my paints recently. I'm a big fan of the 3ft rule. If it looks good from you looking down onto it on the tabletop then I'm happy. I believe I have improved my painting since I started the blog (Still a long way to go I know)


One of the first models I painted when getting back into hobby 

One of the more recent ones 

but after reading a new blog (Link here) written by my cousin (He has got back into war gaming thanks to my blog mwha ha ha) he mentioned just buying colours instead of trying to mix them all the time from the existing colours you have. I only have about 20 or so Paints. I have tended to buy certain colours I need for models, now I'm looking at trying to bulk out my paint collection. I'm gonna look at contrast paints but also at the moment buying  a darker and a lighter colours to the paints I already own. Oh and get better techniques down, like thinning paints I have started to do this more but I need to be consistent and not stress about getting a model done in one session. Some times you need a few thin coats not one thick one.
The plan will be to pick up a couple of paints each month and expand the collection. I need to have a sit down and write down what paints I have so I know what I need to get.



On the Terrain side I think I have improved the most.. Especially hills 😂.

One of my older hills

My latest expanding foam Hills. Much better I reckon

I have to reduce my terrain making as space is now at a premium in my house.
For painting terrain I tend to use the kids paints for covering large areas as those paints are much cheaper. I then use the war game paints to add details and final touches.
I'm sure I'll  make more at some point (I really want a homemade blood Bowl pitch!!).

Sorry its a bit of random post I tend to write when I get ideas

4 comments:

  1. Dude you keep getting better and better with your painting - and those newer hills are superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its all about practice and learning as you go along. Keep at it :)

    ReplyDelete