Anything specific you after?

Sunday 25 January 2015

More Terrain! While working on my last piece of terrain (in my last blog) I've been working on a bigger bit of terrain where models can fight indoors as it were. I chose a bunker as my first attempt having come across some quite thick cardboard over Christmas. I measured up and cut the wall sections out and some interior walls to break up the interior. (good opportunity to hide round corners) these were all stuck down to a cardboard base. I didn't want the interior to be spartan so I started thinking of what to put inside but due to resources it would have to be home made or home sourced. I wanted the bunker to look overgrown and partly buried so I added filler around the sides and on the top edges (as the cardboard had holes at the edges). The hope was to sand the filler down so it would be smoother. Unfortunately this failed (mostly down to me being an amateur) I ploughed on anyway as this is one of my early attempts it would never be perfect.
For the interior I settled on a table with some maps on and sone old maps and posters on the walls. The table was made from lollipop socks and matches (very fiddly!!). The maps were doodled by me and aged by squashing used tea bags onto them (cue some strange looks by my wife). I surrounded two of the maps with cardboard and mounted them on the walls of the bunker. A couple of posters were put on some of the other walls then two maps left on the table.
The bunker was undercoated in black then painted grey, the filler green and the base dark green. Sand was added to base then painted over with dark green this was then dry brushed. (learnt from doing the car in my previous post) Railway flock was then added to the filler to make it look like the bunker was dug in and flock added to roof as well.
Things I learnt from this process are. 1) plan more don't go at it haphazard. 2) choose the materials you use well. The cardboard I used was Ok but the holes in the edges just added extra problems. 3) use of flock? I'm not sold on this and have yet to find a use for it where I'm totally happy with end result. I think the problem is you have to match the colour of the flock to the colour of your scenery. The base green was quite different to the flock green. Well that's all for now. Up next is the gang for the game Across the Dead Earth. The models are assembled and awaiting my clumsy hand to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment