Anything specific you after?

Saturday 19 January 2019

The Hills are Alive!

I've been looking through my terrain collection and realised I don't really have any larger hills in my collection. I had 2 but I wasn't happy with them so I threw them away. I have also been watching a bit of the terrain tutor and one of the videos he does is about making hills out of expanding foam (Click here to watch). How I'm not going ton use the expanding foam bit as I had acquired some packing polystyrene.  Not the best stuff but it was free!
Looks already like a bunker!

I had 2 of the above pieces so I set to carving them into hill shapes. I wanted some paths on them but they are hollow so I could only carve so much away.

They were a little high so I cut some of the bottom off and used that to add some rocks and extra bits.
Now I added filler all over and sanded them as smooth as I could.
Filler added

All sanded
Next up added a base coat of dark grey (checking back on video I think my dark grey and the terrain tutors dark grey differ a fair bit ) to the hills.
I then added the same and gravel for the earth . Here I made an error I was supposed to add sand and gravel before the grey paint.


So another grey paint layer was added, then the earth was painted brown .


This was followed with a dry brush of grey and then a lighter dry brush

The light dry brush makes the dirt pop 

Now I moved into making the rocks look more rock like. Using a few dry brushes of light grey with a final small one of white on the edges.



Then last of all I added the flock and all finished! 



Not bad I don't think. What do you guys think?

4 comments:

  1. They both look great. You can see your skill at making and painting terrain getting better and better with each new one mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you man ☺. I think i have rocks down now I'll have to give something else a go lol

      Delete