Anything specific you after?

Sunday 7 October 2018

Last Days Zombie Apocalypse



I've been in the Facebook group for this game for a while. I've heard and seen good things about the game so when my birthday came up I decided to ask for the book as a present.

It's a nice chunky  hard backed book with great art work and as I always love clear text  (yeah my eyes suck). The idea of the game is you have a band of survivors and fight other groups for supplies and  fight zombies as well. The supplies are to upgrade your group and your refuge.  A refuge is your groups base of operations (If you played the game think State of Decay and the ability to have a base with various add ons). You can select from a list including churches,  police station and a mall. Each one comes in with built in perks but you can add extras on.  This is great as it encourages you to model your own refuge as a terrain piece.



To make a group you have a set number of salvage points to use. You choose your leader. In the game there are 4 types of character. Trained (police, army etc),  Selfless (paramedic, vicar etc), Selfish (gang member etc) and neutral. The leader you pick will either be trained, selfless or selfish. From which ever leader you chose the biggest percentage of the group has gonna the same trait. So a selfless group will have a majority of selfless characters in. Thisss is a nice way of giving your group a bit of back story already. Could they be workers and volunteers from a long abandoned medical checkpoint, a street gang taking advantage of the apocalypse or a squad of soldiers sticking together long after their army unit has been overrun. For each character trait (selfless etc) there are a couple of options such as firefighter, SWAT member, soldier etc.  These come with certain skills that they would have used in their old jobs. There are also just survivors who are neutral and you can choose skills for them. 
Once you chosen you characters you need to buy weapons.  There are certain weapons that only trained people can have and some weapons are rare so you will only have one or two in a group.   You can also purchase medical kids and booze 😃.



Gameplay seems to run fairly simple each model gets a number of action points and each action costs a certain amount of points.  I like the fact that zombies need to be shot or damaged in the head to be killed (an idea I had for my own zombie game).  This is done with a 5+ roll I believe. Some weapons like a sniper rifle add a bonus to that roll. If you fail the roll, weapons have a knock back value which make the zombie stagger back. This to me gives a nice effect of bullets hitting zombies not killing them but slowing them down.
The point of the battles is to gather salvage points. These are then used to upgrade your characters and refuge.
The game provides info on how to run a campaign where your group gains experience and more skills. There are also scenarios to play i think around 6 .

Overall this game looks fun andni can't wait to play a game.  As I have a good few post apocalypse models I already have planned out 3 groups. 

Bravo Squad

First group is Bravo Squad.  This group for separated from their unit when it was overrun and have took over an abandoned police station as their refuge.

Blake's survivors

My second group are my selfless group. Led by Blake's the everyday hero, he has a rescue worker,  a preacher and some survivors. They are based in a church.

The Savages

My last gang is my selfish group. Made up of an old street gang gone savage!


3 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I am intrigued by the rules myself so may pick them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aseem to aim for quite thematic games which I like ☺

      Delete
  2. Always good getting multiple duty out of minis dude!

    ReplyDelete